28th May 2024

Reply To: “Brain storms” by Jon Palfreman (Year 2)

ENGLISH FOR PSYCHOLOGY Forums Neuropsychology “Brain storms” by Jon Palfreman (Year 2) Reply To: “Brain storms” by Jon Palfreman (Year 2)

Anonymous
Inactive

Brain Storms” is quite insightful and deeply informative book, which gave me a lot to think about. The book focused not only on scientific aspects of the Parkinson’s disease (as it was filled with content that showed how the first cases of patients were discovered; how Parkinson describe the new disease in An Essay on the Shaking Palsy and the importance of this essay; the work of Charcot and his students; the research and attempts to invent/find a cure), but also on people. Even though I’m not really interested in biology and neuroscience, I found the chapters and the history of the disease really intriguing. Reading about L-dopa therapy and the study on the case of the frozen addicts was interesting as I turned out to be a curious reader. But the most gripping part of it (at least for me) was the stories of people – Parkies, as they call themselves. I was captivated by their bravery. The paragraph in which there is described a meeting of one of the support groups was thought-proving. Them sharing their concerns with each other and giving advice… I especially remember the words of the woman who said that she learned how to appreciate her life and her friends after she got Parkinson’s. The incredible positivity and faith that they all are there for a long time – that was heart touching.